Saturday 29 September 2012

Celebrating the Sallah


The Day of the Sallah Celebration
Contrary to my original plan, I did stop fasting after completing 30 days. I rested one day before the village completed their 30 days. Some did try to convince me to do another week of fasting. I refused. I was satisfied that I had made it 30 days, that was enough for me on my first try.

As with most everything that goes on in the village by way of celebration, I was not sure exactly what to expect on this day. From pictures of Katie’s time in the village I had seen pictures of the prayers. I knew Yahaya would be cutting up some slaughtered goats or sheep. I had heard of the sharing of food. That’s about all I knew to expect, which in honesty that’s truly most of what goes on. Sticking true to Ghanaian character I couldn’t get a guess at the time the morning prayers would take place. That hardly matters when it will always be later than expected.

I was around when the procession started, so I fell in line behind the chief, the elders and the like and followed with my camera in hand, ready for action. They went to the football field at the local primary school and had three long lines of men, and about 50 feet (mind you I can’t guess distance for the life of me) there were two rows of women, preparing to pray. There were children scattered around watching. Most children and adults were wearing their new outfits for the occasion.

If you’ve never seen a community of Muslims gather for prayers I’m sure my description can’t do it justice. Calling it synchronized praying wouldn’t do it justice. The hands do the same things, they put their foreheads to the ground at the same time, stand at, you guessed it, the same time. The Arabic prayers they recite seem as if they are coming from the same mouth. Ok, maybe I wouldn’t take it that far. But it is something to watch in awe. Coming from my church back home, you almost have to allow a minute to pass when you tell people to stand for prayer, as people obey but not always seemingly to willingly. The prayers I have witnessed seem so fine tunes, as they are so rehearsed (5 times a day for a lifetime can do that I suppose).






After the prayers were completed we dumbly followed the procession, as if we weren’t aware of where it would take us. Naturally we wound up back at the chiefs palace. I wasn’t feeling that we should follow, so instead I headed off with Zulka and Jochem and continued to wander the village. When we made our way back to my house we were accompanied by much food. I (We) were given more food than what I can eat in a week. I kid you not. We made the best indents to the food as we were able. Neither of our appetites can compare to that of Ghanaians, even when we try.

Throughout the day I was trying to get pictures with everyone I could, which is to say all the guys I hang out with on a regular basis. I was pretty successful, if I do say so myself!











As with many celebrations in the village large speakers were brought in, people gathered in a circle and in the middle people came out one by one to dance. That is how the day ended. Well sort of, I was brought more dinner by more families. Jochem left, and it was me vs. the food.

In short, it was a great day. It was fun to be roaming the village with everyone being in such high spirits. It was nice being able to eat during the day again, and I was not the only person to be thinking that either. Until next year!





No comments:

Post a Comment