Monday 13 August 2012

A Day in the Village

Now, I don’t have any major projects starting up, or anything that takes a large chunk of my day consistently. With that, I do have somewhat of a schedule. It’s not so much, but it is something.
I wake up generally around 8, which to the Ghanaians is very late. If my friends would leave my house earlier than 11 or 12 then maybe I would wake up earlier. But for me, 8 is not so late. I start off by sweeping my house, and picking up anything that may be lying around from the day before. When I feel that my house looks presentable, I make myself look the same.
When I leave my house I will take a book with me, if no one is around and the village is quiet I will read. First though I greet people. Adam is normally around so I will sit outside his shop and talk to him for some time. From there I will venture deeper into the village to find my small man best friend, Zulka. I generally spend a few hours at his house, either carrying him around greeting everyone we pass. When we do these village walks Zulka is generally on my back and following, all holding onto one of my fingers I will have 3 to 10 children. It is hard for me to go a day without doing the old camp song “Baby Shark”. When it’s not the kids requesting the song, it is the adults. I really wish I remembered more songs from my week at camp all those years ago! We will end up playing, running around, which is good for all of us.




After a few hours of that I will end up going back to Adams place and sitting around with the guys for a while. If Assembly, Mohammed, Abdul and or Abdula are around then we will play one of our card games, depending on how many people are around.

Before I know it, it will be somewhere around 6 or 6:30, which equals time for me to enter the house and start preparing my dinner. (I know I haven’t included what I do for lunch. This is because I moved into the village after Ramadan started, so I haven’t been eating in the middle of the day). At some point in my meal Adam is bound to come over, bringing with him dinner for my three kittens. Depending on the night and the status of my computer battery we may watch a movie, or listen to my iPod and talk. After he goes I will wash the dishes and clean up the kitchen to the best of my candle lit ability.
It’s not much, but that is how my days tend to work. I will wander the village, play with children, and hang out with my guy friends. I enjoy it when there are meetings to attend, and look forward to when I hold educational sessions of my own. But for now this is what I have. And I am happy with it. I am content and fully enjoy my small village.

No comments:

Post a Comment