Saturday 21 July 2012

My First Day of Ramadan


Jochem and I woke around 4:15am and started to take food and water. I think I can say that for the both of us we were excited that something we have been looking to was finally happening. We talked excitedly as we ate bread, mangos, had water and juice. Back to bed around 5, but first we had to brush our teeth as we are also not supposed to do that during the day.

I got to the village earlier than normal (as of late). I was scheduled to go to a neighboring village to assist with malaria education alongside the peer educators we had educated a few weeks back. 

All worked out, I got ahold of my contact in the village. We were set to do the education after Friday prayer. I caught a ride in a tipper with Megan and Liz. Together at the back we all got thrown every time we hit a bump, which on a dirt, unkept road, is common. I thought it was a great ride. 

I was so proud of our peer educators as they stood in front of their village and taught them about malaria and how to protect themselves and their family.

On our way back we got a ride with a Motorking, sitting in the back with some tied up cows. This ride was scarier as we sat on the edge gripping the railing for our life. After getting thrown around a bit the driver slowed down, but on that dirt road it was still a bumpy, unpleasant, ridiculous ride that I’m glad I got the chance to experience.

At this point in the day I was starting to really notice my hunger and thirst but there was nothing I could do, it was only somewhere around 4pm. I wasn’t getting angry yet by watching others eat, which is good. Jochem came to the village and we gathered some food to break the fast with, besides the watermelon Julie had given us. We took sweet bread and wagashi, to take before dinner. We were both so excited about this, that I didn’t mind the dull hunger pains I was used to at this point.

When we first took water, it was the most exciting and delicious thing. Then the feasting began. And it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment