Tuesday 31 July 2012

Day 11 of ‘Ramadan-ing’


Jochem and I are one day ahead of the Dagombas we live and work worth. We decided to follow Mecca, whereas they follow the moon (But not the sun for when it’s time to start and stop fasting.. Yes, it’s interesting!) So we are 11 days in.

I haven’t noticed a change in peoples energy levels or attitudes yet, but I suppose there is still plenty of time for that. As for myself, there is also no real change to be mentioned. It’s funny to think in terms of buying food at market. Vegetables such as tomatoes can be so time sensitive, especially when you consider I have no fridge to store them in. I can only use them at one point in the day. Although I am forced to skip lunch my appetite for breakfast and dinner has not increased. I have been told over and over again that a bowl of fruit and some vegetables is not a meal, although it is what I tend to be eating these days. My dear friend Adam is the only one who is concerned about me in this endeavor. He fears it will make me lean, which I repeatedly tell him I am perfectly fine with.

It’s nice to be fasting around everyone. We don’t talk about food, what we would like to eat, or the simple fact that we’re hungry. I do get some texts around 3:30 or 4 verifying that I’m awake and eating, but that’s it. It hasn’t been hard the few times I have been around non fasters during the daytime hours and watched them eat and drink. With that being said, I am very excited to get a cold, cold, cold, mineral my first market day after the fast is over. My first trip to Tamale afterwards I have every intention on gorging myself on FanIce (similar to vanilla ice cream), FanChoco (similar to a chocolate flavored icey) AND a FanDango (similar to a orange flavored popsicle) and a burger followed up with a cold coke. It may be a bad sign that I’m planning this out now, but that’s my way.

One thing I am considering (and actually think I will make happen) is stopping fast one day late, so my last day of fasting will be the same as everyone in my village. I want the day of the festival to be my first day where I can eat and drink while the sun is out. Jochem and I have every intention on being in the village for the Ramadan Festival. I’m not sure what all the festival has to entail, but I am thoroughly looking forward to it. As already stated, I like having things to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment