Saturday 21 July 2012

Day before the beginning of Ramadan


I woke early and sat with Jochem while he took breakfast before work. We were trying to plan out what we will take for breakfast tomorrow. He wants to take something heavy, thinking it will help prevent getting hungry before sun set. I don’t agree, in total. He joked we should take fufu. The funny thing about that is that yes, fufu is heavy, but it doesn’t keep you full for long.

In Mecca they are starting Ramadan on a Friday (I’m not sure what the date is in the Islamic calendar) and the Muslims in Ghana are going by the moon. By this I mean the Muslims here are not going to be starting the same day as those everywhere else in the world. Jochem and I had already decided we were going to start when Mecca started, on Friday. When I told the guys this they all teased me, ‘Are you in Mecca? No, you’re in Northern Ghana. You need to start when we start’.

I’m starting to wonder how my personality might waiver as I fast. I think I will get grumpy, and try to find ways to pass the time before the night falls. I’m also curious if I will get used to the feeling of hunger, and by the end of the day be convinced that I am in fact not hungry. I think it will be harder to not take water than food. One thing Jochem and I noticed was that we are going to be taking a short weekend trip towards the end of Ramadan. I think there’s a chance at that point we will be so hungry we don’t enjoy ourselves, or want to do the things we are out to do anymore. I’m also nervous we could miss the end of Ramadan in the village, and miss the celebration. I feel the need to be in the village for the celebration.

This will be an experience! I can tell you one thing, I need to find out if you’re allowed to chew gum. If not, I’m going to be in pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment