Saturday 12 May 2012


Things I’ve Adjusted To (Some How)

Bucket bathing! And honestly, I enjoy it. It’s a great exercise in balance, and a true test to the strength of your thighs. (I have to squat the whole time, otherwise I am exposed to a window that is very close to the road) I also know that I am not wasting a single water droplet in the process of getting clean. Twice daily none the less!

People saying “I’m coming!” as they’re walking away from you. It really means “I’ll be back”, but I don’t even have to question it anymore. I know at some point they will be back. Maybe it will be in two days, but they’ll be back!

Sweeping the grass. Yup. There is a pretty common garbage can in Ghana, the biggest I’ve ever seen. I like to call it the ground. So women will sweep the yard first thing in the morning to make it look nice again. The sound doesn’t even wake me up anymore.

Seeing and killing cockroaches. I have had nights where I’ll kill 6, and there might be times where I don’t see them at all. But when I do see them, I grab my heaviest shoe and kill it. If I’m swearing shoes I’ll stomp on it. As of now I have killed 17.

Jamming at least 6 or 7 people in a taxi meant for 5 people (including the driver.. the 6 or 7 does not). On top of that there might be a goat or sheep in the back, a chicken in a bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment