Saturday 12 May 2012

First Night at Site


First night at site

When we were hearing about our first night at site, there seemed to be a common sense of confusion. I had a feeling that my first night wouldn’t be quite like that, and I was right.

So after 10 hours of traveling from Kumasi, to Tamale, and to site I found myself walking up a dirt road lugging my backpack and two duffels. I had been to the guest house I would be living in once before. The thing about it was that the last and only time I had been there I had been driven, and it had been a month earlier. I was not totally sure if I was on the right path, or how far down this path I would have to go.

Soon after I got made it to the guest house my roommate showed up from his day at work. We spent the evening eating, talking, and chasing down these things we thought were spiders. We thought they were spiders until he caught one under a glass and we got to closely examine it. It has 10 legs and little suctions under its belly. They are incredibly fast little things! Jochem jokes with me that soon I would find one in my room. Sure enough, when I was getting ready for bed there was one in my bathroom. I caught it all by myself.

From stories I had heard it seemed as if people had been nervous about their first night, and unsure of what they would do the next day. I wasn’t nervous. I wasn’t positive on what I would do next either, but that is something I have learned to be ok with. You don’t always have to know ahead of time. You just have to be willing to get up and go do something and see where it leads you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment