Saturday 12 May 2012

First Day at Site


First day at site

I slept in. Which was fantastic and beautiful! Once I made it to my village (It’s about a 30 minute walk from the guest house) I started by greeting people. That is what you do in Ghana. I finally got to see the guys again and sit around with them for a bit. I know I’ll end up doing a lot of that.

I am replacing a current volunteer who will be going home in about three months. She’s still living in her house, and in 3 months it will be my house. So I headed over to her house after spending a bit of time with the guys. She had 3 cats last time I was at site. Since then the two girl cats had kittens, and now there are the cats and 5 kittens. Not sure what’s going to happen with that, but I cannot have 8 cats when I move into the house in 3 months.

I went to my future house and sat around holding a tiny kitten for some amount of time, then we went out together and greeted people. Katie introduced me to some of her friends who were visiting home while on break from senior high school.

After that we wandered back to the guest house and had a mango puree tasting, which was put on by the company and my roommate. It was really awesome!

After dinner it seemed that a big thunderstorm was rolling in. The temperature dropped, the winds picked up and there was lightening in the clouds. Jochem and I grabbed chairs and sat down to watch the storm. It never came. There was lightening in the clouds for a long time, but there was never thunder or rain. It was bizarre and beautiful.

All in all my first day at site was really fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment